Friday, April 10, 2009

An Eerie Fairwell To Edgerton

From the very beginning, I could see signs that the whole Edgerton venture was going to be just another headbanging disappointment. Little could I have guessed then that the final straw would be an altercation with a ghost which would close the door to Edgerton all together. Joni, the massage therapist I was sharing the place with, owned the building that I had my practice in. From the moment I set foot in the house, I knew something wasn't exactly right. But I figured it was just an old house, and it had that "old house" feel to it. Besides, most of the town seemed like that. After all, sharing a place with another healing practitioner who would refer clients to me was ideal.

The population of the town is right around 1,000. It was a town full of farmers, kids, and locals who just opened new businesses. Sounded like an opportune place to be. Then I learned that the people there were of Dutch descent. I knew from growing up around the Pennsylvania Dutch that such people shy away from anything that is "new" and are very skeptical of anything that might make them have to think progressively. Soon I came to realize that these people were no different. My ads that I placed in the local newspaper, and even an interview in the same paper, generated only three new patients -- people that were already clients of Joni. For a town that size, I wasn't getting the reception that I thought I would.

Even as far as Joni herself goes, she is a great person and fun to be around, by Edgerton standards. But her own reservations about getting the care she needs, chiropractically speaking, and the fact that she couldn't even pronounce Reiki correctly, brought me to the realization that I was probably in the wrong place after all. I didn't really see much of a "spiritual" component to her practice. It was more about her interest in selling Arbonne products. Even the massage therapist who was sharing the place with her was a very uncultivated redneck. All in all, Joni was nice enough to allow me to sleep overnight at the house so I don't have to pay to stay in a hotel. Besides, the closest hotel was 21 miles away in Luverne. (There were two bed-and-breakfasts in Edgerton, but that's not my thing.)

Even though Joni offered her place to me, I didn't take her up on it right away. I had listed my hours as being Wednesdays and Thursdays from 3 PM to 10 PM. Out of the three weeks I spent taking care of patients there, the first week I had driven down and back all in one day because I had only one patient scheduled on Wednesday. But that was way too much driving, and I realized how quickly I got tired out. A 3-1/2 hour drive one way where all you see is farm fields the whole way was just too much to handle. But the next week were different. During the second week I had a new patient scheduled for Wednesday and the client from the week before scheduled for Thursday. So I stayed at the house located at 321 East Mill Street overnight.

It was a quaint, small house with a kitchen, full bath, and laundry room on the first floor and three bedrooms on the second floor. This is where Joni had lived until she got married several years ago. She retained ownership of the house, and now uses it just for the massage studio and to house family guests when they come to town. Now if the "old" vibe to the downstairs of the house wasn't scary enough, the feeling I got when I went upstairs to the bedrooms was downright frightening. Still, I set up my Aerobed air mattress and settled in. After all, it sure beat paying to stay in a hotel. But later that night, I wouldn't be so happy about my decision to stay there.

Being the nightowl that I am, I decided to go for a joyride late at night. The town of Edgerton was so still that you could hear a pin drop a mile away. So I decided to drive down to Sioux Falls, South Dakota just to see how long it took to get there. After all, I had my laptop with me and I was hungry, and I was looking for a place to take it easy for a while. Just over an hour later I arrived at a Denny's Restaurant, the only one in Sioux Falls. They had internet connection there, and both my need for food and for being online were fulfilled. When I arrived back at the house in Edgerton it was almost 3 AM.

I laid down on my air mattress, felt the eeriness of the air around me, and hoped to fall asleep soon. Instead, for the next three hours I would be constantly woken up by an unseen force. This force was no stranger to me. I knew EXACTLY what it was -- an evil entity that was there to attack me. I knew because I had this exact same thing happen to me only once before in my life, the night after I performed an exorcism in the apartment I lived in in Smyrna, Georgia ten years ago. Invoking the same healing energy I used to dispel that unwelcome spirit, I shrouded the house and myself with protective light in hopes that the disembodied attacker would go away. The attacks did lessen, and at dawn they stopped all together. I was then able to sleep soundly the rest of the morning and into the afternoon.

I didn't think much of what happened during the night. Haunted houses are aplenty, and I've even gotten rid of a few unpleasant entities in my day. But I do so only if the owner of the property asks me to do that. I don't just go around "playing with energy" like a voyeur. But how was I to tell Joni that there is something evil in her place, the house she once called home? I didn't. Right after I took care of my patient for the day, I packed up and went home to Richfield.

Now came this past Wednesday. I received the bill for the ads, saw that the interview appeared nicely in the newspaper, and I was confident that word was getting around that there was a new chiropractor in town. I only had one patient scheduled on Wednesday. My plan was to stay overnight again and spend the day on Thursday going around the city and to neighboring areas introducing myself and posting signs. Joni asked me how it was staying overnight the week before. I said that they energy wasn't very good, but it was probably due to the fact that I was sleeping in an unfamiliar place. I thought to myself I would give it another try though because, again, it still beat paying to stay in a hotel, and I thought maybe this time things won't be so disruptive.

I had gotten only 4-1/2 hours of sleep the night before. So after I took care of my patient I was in no condition to go for a joyride again. I stopped by Tally Ho, the local coffee shop, to get myself something to eat, and I return to Joni's house to spend the rest of the night reading and typing on the computer. I finally felt tired enough to go to bed at 1:30 AM. But instead of getting a good night's sleep, the SAME EXACT thing happened as the week before, and it was now WORSE! This ghost was more aggressive as it not only "stole" my sleep from me but was also poking me with something that was sharp or burning. I didn't even bother to call upon the protective energies. I figured if I could just put up with it until daybreak I'd be fine. But the more I laid there, the more I told this intruder to go away, the more adamant it became. It really wanted me out of there!

I can sense the negative energy around me. It feels like a still, heavy, dark cloud. Whereas some mediums and psychics can actually see spirits, auras, and energies, I feel them and intuit them. By having my sleep "stolen", I mean that I would be sound asleep one minute and then would find myself lying wide awake the next without apparent reason, and this would be repetitive every time I started to fall back to sleep again. But the poking and prodding was something new. Now I knew I was dealing with something I never dealt with before. Still and all, it wasn't in my place to play the rescuer of the house here. Just before daybreak, I finally gave in and said, "You win. I'm outta here." And at 5:30 in the morning, I packed up my belongings, my patient records, and my chiropractic table, and I left for good, never to return.

This event wouldn't end without something positive coming from it, though. As I drove down Murray County Route 1 on my way back home, the scenery all around me was one on the best I had ever seen in my life. Daylight was just starting to creep above the horizon in the East, and the dark silhouettes of the hundreds of windmills flapping in the night sky filled my vision. The planet Mercury sat on the horizon to announce the beginning of a new day. I turned around to see the night sky behind me. Clouds just started to obscure a bright full moon. Despite all that happened, this one vision of the morning sky in Edgerton is what I will walk away with and will cherish the rest of my days. It was as if the Universe were saying that from here on, things will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment